Popular Nollywood movie comedian Babatunde Omidina a.k.a Baba Suwe has rejected the N25 million compensation fee that was offered to him by the Nigeria Drug Law Enforcement Agency(NDLEA) of his alleged drug trafficking crime, the comedian who was widely defamed and was publicly disgraced spoke with GistBin reporters.  See Pictures Of His Experience With NDLEA.


In a chat with GistBin Editors, veteran actor, Baba Suwe, described the late Bamidele Aturu, as his saviour and helper whom God sent to rescue him in his time of need.
Aturu was the lawyer that defended the comic actor when he was accused of smuggling cocaine.
He said, “I could not sign Aturu’s condolence register; it was my child that signed it. Aturu was my savior, helper and God-sent. Aturu’s death is one of the most painful things to have happened to me.
“He was a very nice person; he was very passionate about me. When the incident happened, he came to meet me and asked me to tell him the truth if I was guilty or innocent and I told him the truth. He then assured me that he would defend me so that I would not go to jail and that’s what he did.”
Although the court vindicated the comic actor and asked that the sum of N25m be paid to him as a form of compensation by the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, the humour merchant has yet to claim the money because of an appeal filed by the drug agency.
He however told Saturday Beats that he was no longer interested in the money but in a public apology.
“The NDLEA has wronged me and it is meant to find a way to make me happy. It is a slap on my face. I am not agitating for the money; I don’t need it to survive in life. All I want is an apology. If the government can tender an apology to me and publish it in newspapers, I will have peace of mind and be happy,” he said.
There were media reports that Baba Suwe was getting married soon, having lost his wife, Omoladun, a few years back. But when asked, he debunked the rumour.
“It is not true that I am about to get married. Don’t mind those saying it, they are saying rubbish. There is no atom of truth in it. If I would get married, it would not be a secret; everybody would hear about it. I also have it in mind to marry a woman that would love me as well as my children and give me peace of mind,” Baba Suwe said.
He admitted that the cocaine incident affected his work adversely, he said he was making moves to get back strong. Baba Suwe hinted that he was at the final stage of a new comic Yoruba movie he had been working on for a while.. 
Question For Our Readers
  1. Do you think he should have rejected the money?
  2. What is your own point of view on this issue?

Post a Comment

Thanks for Reading... Drop your Comment here.

 
Top